As Senior Scientist, you can be the frontrunner on the focus point of One Health and emerging infectious diseases.
In collaboration with Wageningen Bioveterinary Research, you will contribute to and coordinate research on viral zoonotic diseases, the interaction between animal health and human health and the development of strategies to prevent transmission and reduce infectious diseases.
Together, we'll make a meaningful difference in safeguarding public health and building a healthier, more resilient world. Join us in this rewarding journey of discovery and impact!
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating research and development activities related to One Health, with a specific focus on viral zoonotic diseases.
- Initiating and building long-term partnerships with key stakeholders in the veterinary and animal health industry, as well as veterinary public health, including government agencies, academic institutions, and industry partners.
- Publishing research findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals and presenting research at national and international conferences.
- Provide scientific guidance and leadership to junior researchers and colleagues, and collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to develop innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Acting as a spokesperson for our organisation on One Health in the media, including social media platform, and for the society.
- Developing and implementing strategic plans for the growth and development of the organization's scientific portfolio, and contributing to fundraising efforts to secure research grants and other funding opportunities.
You are a dynamic and driven senior researcher with a PhD and your extensive network in the field showcases your dedication to making a difference.
You are accustomed to working with and within an interdisciplinary team. You have experience in establishing One Health-related projects, such as studies on zoonotic pathogen characterization and zoonotic transmission. Your entrepreneurial mindset enables you to explore opportunities with stakeholders in the work field. You are a team player willing to share knowledge and eager to learn from others.
You also possess:.
- Ph.D. in life sciences, animal science, or virology, if in the human field, then affinity towards livestock is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the field of One Health, Virology, and infectious diseases.
- A proven track record of scientific excellence demonstrated through publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals, presentations at national and international conferences, and other professional achievements.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with a demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team of scientists and support staff.
- Demonstrated success in securing research grants and other funding opportunities.
- Key competencies: pro-active, collaborative, flexible, client and result oriented.
As you can see; there are plenty of challenges ahead of you. If you are a visionary and accomplished scientist with a passion for One Health, we’ld like to encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
These challenges can also be seen as development opportunities. Therefore, if you do not yet have the required track record mentioned in the vacancy, but possess solid work experience, we would also like to invite you to apply.
If this position doesn't exactly match what you're looking for and you're interested in a similar role with a different focus area, please take a look at this position within WBVR.
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 4%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. We offer, depending on your experience, a competitive gross salary of between € 4.149,- and € 6.978,- for a full-time working week of 36 hours, in accordance with the CLA Wageningen Research (scale 12/13). You will initially receive a one-year contract, which will be extended in mutual enthusiasm.
The work location is Houtribweg 39, Lelystad, the Netherlands.
The work may take place partly in buildings with a quarantine regulations. In such occasions, contact with foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) sensitive animals and poultry production companies is not allowed for three days after work.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees.
Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling. For instance under the "30% rule", certain categories of international staff can receive tax exemption on approximately 30% of their gross salary.
Work Hours: 36 hours per week