Thursday, July 8
Posted in Beef Cattle, Swine, Dairy Cattle, Sheep, Animal Health, Goats, Horse, Poultry, Rabbit
The South Dakota One Health: COVID-19 and One Health will be held July 8 at 9 a.m. CST at the USD Health Science Center (Room #106, 1400 W. 22nd St., Sioux Falls).
The latest in a series looking at the interaction between people, animals and the environment, this seminar will explore how the coronavirus pandemic changed animal and human health in South Dakota.
- 9:00 a.m. CST - Welcome; Russ Daly, DVM, South Dakota State Public Health Veterinarian, South Dakota State University (SDSU) Extension Veterinarian
- 9:05 - The COVID-19 Pandemic in South Dakota: How the DOH Adapted; Josh Clayton, PhD, South Dakota State Epidemiologist
- 9:40 - Animal Coronaviruses: Differences and Similarities vs. COVID-19; Ben Hause, PhD, South Dakota State University
- 10:15T - BREAK
- 10:30 - How the Pandemic Changed Medical Education in South Dakota; Jennifer Hsu, MD, USD Sanford School of Medicine
- 11:05T - How the Pandemic Changed Veterinary Education in the Midwest; Jessica Ward, DVM, Iowa State University (via Zoom)
- 11:40 - COVID-19 and the Food Supply in South Dakota; Todd Tedrow, DVM, SD Animal Industry Board
- 12:15 p.m. CST - Lunch and networking. Lunch courtesy of USD Sanford School of Medicine
- 12:45 - How the Pandemic Changed Delivery of Animal Care in South Dakota; Jennifer Stevens, DVM, Horizon Pet Care, Brandon
- 1:20 - Developing Human and Animal Vaccines for SARS-CoV2; Alan Young, PhD, South Dakota State University
- 1:55 - COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy; Jennifer Hsu, MD, USD Sanford School of Medicine
- 2:30T - BREAK
- 2:45 - How South Dakota’s Veterinary Lab Ramped Up to Test Human Specimens for SARS-CoV2; Jane Hennings, DVM, MS South Dakota State University
- 3:20 - Caring for Respiratory Patients in the Midst of the Pandemic; Scott Helberg, MD, USD Sanford School of Medicine
- 4:00 - Adjourn
The event is free, but to attend in-person, register by July 2. Lunch will be provided. For more information, contact Russ Daly, Professor, SDSU Extension Veterinarian and South Dakota State Public Health Veterinarian.
To join the sessions via Zoom, registration not necessary, please use this link.
Please see MONOGRAPH in Veterinaria Italiana
“One Health – One Medicine”: linking human, animal and environmental healthRead More
History of the One Health Initiative team and website (April 2006 through September 2015) and the One Health Initiative website since October 1, 2008 … revised to June 2020 and again to date February 2021Read More
Vaccines for zoonoses: a One Health paradigm
SciTech Europa Quarterly (March 2018) – Issue 26Read More
Pan European Networks SciTech Europa Quarterly
SciTech Europa Vaccines for zoonoses: a one Health paradigm – Pages 227-229 (Read PDF) “One of the One Health Initiative team’s co-founders and leaders is an internationally-recognized eminent physician…Read More Read PDF