The SAPUVETNET III Project Contributing to the Millennium Development Goals through the One Health Concept
(http://www.sapuvetnet.org/), funded by the European Union (DCI-LA/2008/75), aims to contribute to the discussion of various aspects of Public Health that require a multidisciplinary approach.
Rabies is a serious problem in many African and Latin American countries.
Although it has been successfully controlled in many European countries, there are still cases of rabies registered every year in animals and it is currently classified as a neglected disease by the WHO.
This e-conference (1 to 7 June) aims to stimulate debate and contribute to the development of a frame embracing the socio-economic, ecological and epidemiological factors that determine the disease pattern worldwide, and that could help the development of more effective strategies for disease control in the field. Different questions will be explored:
1. What is the real dimension of rabies in different eco-geographical scenarios?
2. Which human behaviours and beliefs contribute to the failure of vaccination campaigns?
3. How to promote responsible pet ownership? Are there any differences between urban and rural context?
4. What are the economic aspects that challenge the success of the animal vaccination campaigns?
5. What organizational aspects have to be put in place? How to communicate effectively with pet owners?
6. How to adapt the different experiences to different local realities?
If you have constructive ideas on one or more aspect of this important disease and would like to share them with us, please participate in this e-conference http://projectos.moodle.uevora.pt/course/category.php?id=3 .
1 to 7 June
The results will be valuable contributions to the World Rabies Day that will be promoted throughout the world in September.
Instructions to participate in the e-conference.
1. Enter the website http://projectos.moodle.uevora.pt/ (if your browser inquires you on the safety of the certificates do not worry, it is a safe website).
2. Search "PROJECTS" and enter.
3. Access "Preparing the RABIES WORLD DAY 2009".
4. Choose the language in the upper right corner (ES, EN, PT).
5. On the next page you can choose between the following:
Ø Access with user name and password for users already registered.
Ø Create a new user account: All who are accessing Moodle for the first time should register as new user and START CREATING A NEW ACCOUNT. Complete the register form and select Create My New Account.
FOR NEW USERS:
You should see the following instructions after having submitted your form:
"We have sent an email to XXXXX@XXXX.XXX (your email)
There are simple instructions to complete the process.
If you have any difficulty, contact your system administrator. “
Please follow the instructions sent to your email to activate your new account!
NECESSARY FOR ALL USERS (new and already registered):
To sign up for: "Preparing the RABIES WORLD DAY 2009":
Search: Management and select ENROLL ME IN THIS COURSE
Enter a enrollment key for access to the discipline: sapuvetnet3
After accessing the content of "Preparing the RABIES WORLD DAY 2009" you can edit what is in blue. Under each "diagram of subjects" you can see sub themes identified as "Discussion Forum", "Chat Room", etc… Selecting these links you may create a new topic of discussion, comment on a previously created, add a topic to chat ...
Selecting the "links" in blue appear different options to add, for example, file attachments on "Attach file". Explore the different options for more flexibility!